Pages

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Spinning around!!!

Many interesting things have been happening during the past few days. It may not sound so interesting to the average reader, but these past days in Delhi has taught me a lot about the Christian life. My life these past few days could be put in a song by Jump 5. Here’s the song…

SPINNING AROUND
You keep me spinning around
Round (echo)
I was thinkin' bout it yesterday
I was thinkin' bout tomorrow
In a dizzy kinda sorta way
Like vertigo
Ive been tryin' hard to figure out
But its drivin' me crazy
Well you'd think I'd know by now
A is last Z is first
Living life in reverse cuz thats the way it works!
Spinning around
I've got this funny feeling
Turning my whole world upside down
I'll keep my heart and my eyes on you
'Cuz you keep me spinning around (spinning around)
What were doing doesnt have a sequel
Don''t wanna loose your balance
All you know you gotta keep your equal-librium
Going back to go forward
All these definate maybe's
It's like running around in circles
Make it last
Take it slow
Just forget what you know
Cause' thats the way it goes
Spinning around I've got this funny feeling
Turning my whole world upside down
I'll keep my heart and my eyes on you
'Cuz you keep me spinning around(spinning around)
Every now and then i feel your peacefulness surround me
Then once again it all goes up and down and over under round and around
Spinning around
Thats the way to works
Taking it slow and not so fast (fast)
Z is first and A is last (last)
Up and down all around (hey hey!)
Turning my whole world upside down
Oh yeah
It's not the take its the give
Yes thats the way OK the way it is!
Spinning around
I've got this funny feeling (oh yeha)
Turning my whole world upside down (spinning around)
I'll keep my heart, my eyes on you (on you)
Cuz you keep me spinning around
Spinning around
I've got this funny feeling (spinning around)
Turning my whole world upside down (upside down)
I'll keep my heart, my eyes on you
Cuz you keep me spinning around


The Christian life, according to most people is a smooth ride. I guess its not. A Christian could be compared to a paratrooper dropped into enemy territory. We are constantly bombarded with the attacks of the devil. At the moment, The Lord has put me in JNU, and I am staying with a thirty-three year old. He is a smoker and a drinker, and so are most of his friends. I am already dreading the winter where there’ll be more drinking and smoking to keep the cold at bay, and when the weather will also give me more reason to join them. I have never been in such a place where smoking and drinking are so commonplace. When I say no to them, it will only be by God’s grace.

Yet, the Lord, in His mercy always lets us be put in situations we can face. Of course, the devil is very clever and powerful, but God is even more wise and powerful. As long as we hold on to Him, it is impossible for the devil to attack us. The devil thus tries to loosen the grip we have. He tries to make us rebel against our Lord. Yet, we must always hope in the Lord, and constantly train our eyes on Him.

God has given each Christian the power to soar over his/her problems. Each Christian is a soldier. Fighting a war no one else can see or hear about. Every believer has his part in the battle against his spiritual enemies. The other people here do not notice this, and thus consider the Christian as a fool. But ‘God chose the foolish things of this world to shame the wise… the weak things of this world to shame the strong.’ I don’t know whether God’s speaking from an eternal perspective or from a worldly perspective. But it could be applied both ways.

Each Christian, as he daily takes up his cross is hampered by the devil and his minions. The Christian thus fights back with his spiritual weapons that are far more powerful than the ‘weapons of this world’.

Have you ever observed the philosophy of Kung fu and the other ancient martial arts? Most of these one on one combats were not designed by soldiers, but by monks. They consider certain martial arts as ways of training the body as a ready fighter with a higher philosophy. I often used to wonder what a Christian would do when he needs to physically defend himself. I used to day-dream about fighting off the bad guys, or bravely taking a beating. But whenever I have nightmares, when the pictures in my head are clearer, I always end up running away. Yet, until date, I have never been challenged to a knock-out nor have I been mugged or beaten up in real life.

One way to put it is that God knows that I’m not ready to face these obstacles yet. A friend of mine was a black-belt from Nepal. He is the definition of fitness in our church, and was a gang-fighter before accepting Christ as his Saviour. He has known Christ for four years, and recently, he was man-handled by this thug when he was conducting a ministry at the railway station. He could have easily beaten that thug to a pulp, yet he restrained himself. It wasn’t fear that held him back, but courage. I do not have courage. I am one of the most fearful soldiers in the King’s army, and I know that. I am not blessed with great faith like many people I know. But, I pray that I will learn to harness the little amount of faith I have.

This lack of faith could be pointed to me. I do not have enough time alone with my God. I spent 3 months at home with my parents, and I only very rarely read the bible. Now, that I’m alone in Delhi, I read the Bible and pray everyday. Of course, I do not spend the best hours of the day, this is definitely better than the last.

No comments: