Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Something useful, at last!

I have finally decided to stop being lazy and pen down (or rather type down) what I felt about a couple of books I’ve read. (Yes, I’ve started reading.) I have been given a proper format for a book review, and the following paragraphs will definitely not follow such a pattern, as you will see.

The first book is a novel, called ‘Be Cool’ by Elmore Leonard, the guy who wrote the book ‘Get Shorty’. Yes, this book is just like the previous one, with full of witty lines. And yes, someone’s made a movie on the story too.

It is definitely a good read as it takes us into the Audio industry in America. If you have no idea about the audio industry, this is a great read, with lots of knowledge fillers. Of course, the protagonist, Chili, is a great guy, and comes up with the coolest of lines.

The story is about Chili, and the things he goes through in order to make a new movie. He actually lives through an adventure to get a good story for the movie. The story is all about this adventure involving the mafia, hired killers, traitors and relationships, and, as I said before, about fast-talking Chili.

This book is a two-time read, and I would definitely recommend a second-hand copy. (It is not worth the actual price, as you only feel like reading it once, unless you’re the collector type)

The next book, is a boring book on the politics of India from 2001 to 2004. A friend and I were supposed to review this book together, for college, and he did good justice to the review, with better language, etc. I on the other hand, prefer to give you guys a more ‘chilled out’ perspective.

The book is called Polity in India 2001 – 2004 by CP Bhambhri. CP Bhambhri was a professor in JNU, until a few years ago, and he’s the permanent member of the Pioneer. (An Indian daily) The book is a actually a collection of his own articles published in many newspapers. This gives the book a relatively loose feel, with lots of seemingly irrelevant articles, but, with the material at hand, it is well compiled.

If you haven’t been reading the newspapers for the past four years, or if you are interested in Indian politics, but don’t know a thing or two about the happenings, this is a good place to start. But, I would profusely warn you to watch out for his strong leftist leaning. He’s completely anti-BJP, and pro UPA. (If you don’t understand these terms, you’ll figure them out after reading the first few pages of the book.) His language is very simple, and can be read by the average reader. Hope you guys have fun reading it.

I hope to send book-reviews like this every week. This is a tall order, with the amount of coursework I have, but I hope I can squeeze in time for reading and typing.

Do post your comments, if you guys have actually read till here.

1 comment:

Joy said...

im shocked that someone from india whould tag my blog. haha. you certainly type good english =)