Pages

Friday, September 29, 2006

Journalism? Maybe.. Creative writing? nah!!

I know this is a well-used, absolutely stale advice, but Do not for one second believe your mother or your girlfriend when she says that you're really good at something. It happened with me, because she kept on praising me for my 'good english' and I actually took that to heart and decided to go for a creative writing competition!! Insane, eh? Absolutely! I also planned to take up freelancing, but I don't know how to go about it!

Maybe the reason why I couldn't go to the creative writing competition or wasn't called by the editor for my story was to save face! I don't know how else I got that weird idea, but I suddenly felt I was really good at writing! Hmph! I realized that my skills aren't that hot only when I started reading decent blogs! man, they can write! and do they know a lot! and they can really form opinions in seconds. But me? All I can do is read something, think about it, mull over it, sleep over it, and then blog it the next day! by then, the news is too 'cold'! Damn! But anyway, I guess I am made for other things more worthwhile than writing about people and things.

Oh, and freelancing? Gee, I need to know the art of making contacts! I ran across this reporter for the India Today group. (for all non-indians who stumble here, India Today is a reasonable media group. They make good fortnightly mags, but they're new ventures are predictable flops) I actually first thought that he was into writing for the magazine, but then, I figured that he was a reporter for this tabloid I never heard of!!

He promised to call me when I told him I had a great story on the JNUstudent's union hunger strike, but he never did!! A professional freelancer would know the exact reason, but me? I have absolutely no clue!! Need some help on this guys/gals!

Hmm... I guess, all I can do is just put down my anger and frustration on the screen. Hope there'll be a time when I can put more than just that!

No comments: