Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My new home

A few of my readers might have lived in places like this before and are expected to not bother reading the entire post. But me being someone who lived most of his life at least 30 to 40 feet above the ground in some apartment or the other, living at Amberhaigaun in a small room on the terrace of a once upon a time house for a joint family is fascinating! The room I have is definitely bigger than the rooms$ at Tapti and Xavier's! It also has an attached kitchen and bathroom. The downside is that the place doesn't have shelves of any kind. It's as raw as you can find them! Trying to refurnish the place to make it liveable wasn't that easy because I always took it for granted that there will be a soap with a scotch brite brush sitting next to sink... you get the picture.
Living in the hostel does give you a sense of responsibility but not as much as much as living alone like this. You definitely get a lot more worries in your head. Cooking is definitely one of those big reponsibilities, yeah, I definitely need to some catching up. Both with skills and instruments. As long as I don't fall sick or weak eating the works of my hands I really am not complaining yet! Every time I try and come up with new ways to make me eat more wholesome food! The catch to all this cooking is that I have to cook all these things only in the low energy consumption rice-cooker! I cannot cook on an electric hot-plate because of the extra energy it consumes. Buying a gas stove also is presently out of the question. The shop is too far, and I don't have so much money. I have got pretty interesting recipes that make me eat a lot as fast as possible! (Maybe I'll compile a crazy list and post them sometime!)
Another bore of living alone is the cleaning bit. Living on the terrace means my door opens to the terrace. Which means, all the dirt of the village enters the room the moment I open the door. And since my mattress is on the floor, I have to clean the floor regularly and make sure no bugs enter. Surprisingly the day I swabbed the floor with phenyl, insects started coming into the room! And the insects haven't left since! Any suggestions grandmas?!
The architecture is classic basti Delhi architecture. A few T shaped rafters line the ceiling. Balanced carefully between these rafters (without mortar or cement) are extremely huge, extremely cheap kadappa tablets. One slight shake of these rafters, and the ceiling meets the floor. I'm kinda sure because lizards go in and out of the room through gaps in the ceiling. So, in case of an earthquake I should remember to keep my wits about me, or I could get sandwiched before I say 'what?' But did y'all notice? during the mild earthquake there were no deaths?! Hmm... I guess It's not as unstable as it looks! But definitely not rain proof! This record breaking rain hasn't helped much either!
Still, for a summer season, the weather has been pleasant so far and the room is extremely comfortable! (Pent-house luxury, definitely!) But when the sun gets angry because the clouds were blocking it's view, y'all can have Sam Tikka for lunch!

No comments: