Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

A comedy of errors Part 2 - A bar-room Brawl

Still breathless from the events that took place in the last four hours, I type here, one of the most extraordinary evenings I have ever had! Just yesterday, the SYD and ze german were commenting on the crazy, (sometimes spooky) experiences I’ve been through. The following event is so long that I’ve decided to put it in two consecutive posts. Don’t read this post before reading the previous post.

Even now, as I type, my hands tremble with excitement and my heart jumps at every new sound I hear. My senses are on full tilt, and my heart is thanking God for his mercies as I type.

The shop-owner called me half an hour later, telling me that the rickshaw guy had reached his place, and is going back to the village to find me. Half an hour later, the rickshaw guy calls me and after a few phone calls and some more running around, he’s at the gate of my house. He tells me it’s all my fault that we lost him. I don’t leave him alone. I fight with him and tell him that if he had only taken his cell-phone, all this would not have happened. We carry the bed through the stairs, and keep it in my house. I ask if he wants to eat, and he does. However, he pours himself a (rather large) peg and I decide to treat him to dinner. (The guy was literally sweating!)

We stop at our South Indian restaurant, where I decide to treat him to a Dosa. He has one plate dosa and one plate idli. He was getting a little tipsy (and I wondered how he could get so high so soon) I ask him, and he told me he knew I didn’t like him drinking, so he took two on the sly! (What did I get myself into here! I don’t want a typical wife-basher tonight!) So, I try and fill up his stomach with my dosa also and some more food. Suddenly, in the table behind us, there is this huge guy who’s evidently drunk and starts shouting at the waiter. I look back to see the tamasha. After sometime, things settle down and we settle to our food. My friend is busy eating, and I’m watching him eat. All of a sudden, there’s this huge slap on my back, almost making me choke my food. It is our famous drunk coming a calling. I give him the ‘what’s the matter?’ look. He asks me why I looked back. I muttered a sorry under my breath, glaring at my own half-drunk friend, willing him not to get up and start something. He glares back and forth, and is about to give my friend a slap in the face, when I put my hand up willing him to stop. Surprisingly, he doesn’t hit my friend and asks me to put my hand down. I give him the ‘I’ll-put-my-hand-down-if-you-promise-to-go-back-to-your-seat’ look for a two seconds, and I put my hand down. He goes back to his seat, and there’s no noise from him against the waiter or anybody in the room afterwards. (He of course didn’t stop swearing at people who didn’t pick up the phone when he called them! Later, he and his friend walk out of the hotel (paying the waiter, thankfully). He and his friend were carrying a party flag. That’s when I realized I could have gotten creamed before I reached home! Praise God!

My own drunk friend (after scolding the waiter for not doing anything) does get full finally and I pay Rs 60 for our meals. (Quite a bargain, actually) I pay him his due (Rs 250) while he tells me he wants 300! (Rs300! After all this?! What an ungrateful wretch!) But I go back to the ATM and give him his money with a smile. He then asks me if I felt bad if he asked for Rs 50 more. I smiled even more and told him I gave it willingly. (That was the most fake smile I’ve ever faked) but I told him I was very upset that he drank so much in my presence, and it would do him a lot of good if he stopped. He gave a half-drunk smile and told me he’d call. I said ok. (What am I getting myself into?!) and literally took to my heels and ran home as quickly as possible. I’ve never felt so much (I wouldn’t call it fear, but a heightening of all the senses, and your hair your neck stiffen.)

Now I’m here, having the greatest emotional workout of my life!

Though I know all my loved ones who read this will feel scared for me, but I want to tell you, don’t . If God wanted me to be beaten up, I would have been. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have let me buy that bed in the first place! For some strange reason, I feel that Rs2100 I spent the evening was put to good use. (Or may be it’s just denial???)

No comments: