Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Old man at 22

In my previous posts, my boasting about my brief stint at sports must have bugged some of you. But there was a time when I was pretty good at volleyball and badminton, but like they (the oldies) say, "Those were the good old days!" But having retired from all forms of sporting activity, and refraining from all activity that would keep my fitness in check ever since, I have become the average white-collared oldie.
Looking at my slim (or rather thin) figure in the mirror, I thought I still could run a mile without breaking a sweat. Those dreams were shattered today, when I had to run after the bus because it didn't stop at my bus-stop (ah these besharam Delhi drivers). I ran and I ran as fast as I could (realizing that this was the pace I used JOG before) I had half a mind to slow down, forget about the bus and catch my breath.
Thankfully I feared that bitter feeling you have when you give up and was also worried I might be extremely late for work. So I pushed on... and on... I finally jumped on to the bus and I had to pant and pant (like the kungfu panda after he climbs up the stairs) for an entire minute until I realized I was standing in spite of two seats being vacant! I later calculated I would have ran about 75 to a 100 meters. I used to cover this distance in less than 15 seconds err... 2 years ago, but now it would take thrice the time.
My kind mother would apprehend me saying I am not eating enough (she has a point there though). My ex-coach (who once had dreams of me playing volleyball for the country) would come to my room every morning, stand on my back and make me do 50 pushups and run 2 kilometers everyday if he sees me in this condition.
Ah, but what can I do? Time changes, and I am now lazier than I ever was before. Plus, having to cook my food and eat it, doesn't seem to help. The irritating Delhi heat isn't helping either. But this is no excuse. I vow to maintain a log of my exercise schedule starting tomorrow.
.... or next week

No comments: