Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Fasting... and feasting

I had made it a practise to fast every Saturday, from the time I get up, to 5.30pm. This good practise went off very well at first, and then began to get erratic. (That was around the same time I began to get my amnesia attacks) I suddenly would remember as I was half way through a samosa that it was Saturday, and I was not supposed to eat. The time of prayer I used to spend began to reduce rapidly, and I began to feel guilty for the same. Even that guilt went away soon enough, and I forgot that I ever fasted!

And as every Christian in his walk away from God gets some sense knocked into his head the hard way, I began to miss those times of fasting. Those were the times I used to be so close to God, talking with Him and feeling His love surround me and hold me close to Him.

So, last night, I decided that I would begin to fast again, and I also warned my mother that I won't be taking food during the day. Believe me, it wasn't easy... It's Christmas time now, and the whole dining room is decked with cakes of different flavors, smells, sizes and shapes. I would just look at them and move away, remembering my promise with God. I did pray and read a little bit of Christian literature, but it wasn't as close as it was before. But I definitely felt better today than any other day here.

The family function organized for the evening went off well too, and I was able to work well on that empty stomach. God has not forgotten me, and I thank Him for that. I didn't feast on the word of God, I admit, but this was a promising start.

Oh, and speaking of feasting, I did feast at Sangeetha Bhavan where we as a family went to for dinner. My stomach is so full, that it could burst. So much for 'putting a knife in your throat' to stop gluttony!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard yhat fasting and praying helps a lot in our spiritual lives. I fast but don't pray. I rather call it starving. I am obssesed with books and am eager to finish what i'm reading that I loose track of time. I think you're havin' a nice Christmas with your family. I'm havin' a quite Christmas and I think I'll be havin' a gala New Year(my hometown beckons). Anyway, once again, Merry Christmas.

sam said...

hope you have a great time cp, hny to u too!! and i really understand the obsession with reading!!